We see shipping containers all over the world, in ports, on freight trains and on the back of trucks. Most of these began their life in China where more than 95% of the world’s shipping containers are made. We know where they are made, but what about how a shipping container is made?
To begin with, the sheets that make up the exterior of the container are cut from a large roll of steel. Then:
- These sheets are then sandblasted to remove any rust or contaminants before being primed.
- The sheets are then corrugated to enhance their overall strength.
- Roof panels and braces, also made from steel are then welded together with the wall panels. Square tubing is also welded to the top of the walls.
- Following this, the floor is constructed using the pre-prepared panels.
- During this time the door and corner post assembly are being separately prepared.
- Once the floor is complete, the door assembly is welded on, followed by the walls.
- When done, the roof is then assembled and welded into place on top of the container.
- The container is then primed again, painted and flooring varnished ready for installation.
- When the floor has been fully installed, holes are then drilled for floor panels to be secured.
- All final hardware is installed such as door handles, twist locks and bridge fittings as well as rubber seals for water tightness.
- Final testing is done to ensure compliance with regulations and a water tightness test is done.
- The container is finished and ready for use!
Shipping Containers – Containers You Can Trust
At Shipping Containers all our containers are made to the highest of standards and consistently checked for quality. Whether you buy new or used containers with us, you can be assured of quality. Contact us today on 1300 284 896.